Saturday, March 06, 2004

Re: mount

mohn, i really suggest you read the pike book hrishi got

Dyou mean the Unix book? Yeah, I plan on reading that. And also going through the Oreilly books he burnt for us. I'm actually reading one I got from the college library. It's quite old (he's using some disto called LST - heard of it?), but somehow I liked his approach to it. It's about getting started with Linux.

actually there were many different *nix based os'es. then they decided to standardize under a definite set of rules. not getting the name right now. something like IPC V or so. please correct. so more or less the directory structure, along with some standard commands were fixed.

Dyou mean System V? There were some three branches from the first asm based Unix... the main one - just several diff versions, BSD and SunOS. Because of differing functionality they standardized on System V which was based on the initial asm Unix. But I did not understand what the standardization involved. The kernel is standardized, but what about the commands/programs?

BTW, this came as a big surprise to me... Microsoft had a version of Unix called Xenix! And more surprising... it was developed in a partnership with SCO!

one major difference between *nix and windows is this. in linux when you install a program, it gets stored all over the file system. config files go in etc, some parts go in /lib, and the exe will go in some bin folder.

Interesting. But dyou think this is such a great idea? It seems this might be a nightmare scenario when it comes to managing different versions. Is there something similar to DLLs? Basically components, which enables reuse.

Some more questions I had... wanted to post before I forget.

As I told you before, they have Debian installed on the campus computer lab. Anyway, I have a cs unix account which allows me to log into those machines. So I have a folder called /u/mrao. So, this is my home directory?

The other day I was just playing with some cmds and entered ls -l /u. This brought back a HUGE list of folders with other peoples folders like /u/ajay, /u/dustin, /u/john etc... I didn't try to access them, but I'm sure if I did, it would ask for login data. Anyway, does this mean that all these folders are actually stored in some server and the machine I used to log in is just a thin client (terminal)? Cause sometimes I use a SSH client from home to connect and transfer my files to the Linux machines and I can connect to basically any domain on campus. Doesn't have to be one particular one.

Another question was regarding daemons. Are these just background processes? If you open up Task Manager in Windows you will see several svchost.exe's. These host several services that are always running in the background. So daemons are something similar?

i needed some info how generics work in C++.

I'll post some stuff on it soon.

No comments: