Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Re: GMail

There aint no free lunch.

Considering the service they are offering for FREE this shouldn't come as such a huge surprise. Don't get me wrong - I think the privacy policy is a serious issue. I don't want anyone, man or machine, scanning my emails. But they are coming out with something quite radical and for a pretty sweet price. It's a tradeoff many are willing to make, including me. I'm pretty sure, they will be pressured into offering some kind of premium service for a fee with no ads. MSN and Yahoo offer it for some 1/10 the space they're going to offer.

I can't imagine the magnitude of storage that will be available say 10 years from now!

Considering how much the prices of storage have fallen right now 1 gig ain't a big deal. But it's going to be huge because they are doing something no one has done before - something unique. It will force Yahoo and Hotmail to also increase storage.

They say that we'll be able to search through any email we've EVER sent / received. Does this mean that we'll not be able to PERMANENTLY delete any message? It might show the message to be deleted but will it be stored on the google servers?

I doubt it. It would make NO sense it they did that. Believe me, people will find ways to make a gig of storage look real small. They have to allow for deleting permanently.

No comments: