Thursday, May 05, 2005

The essential Java language library

The essential Java language library

Seems like a decent list. Of the books mentioned, I can vouch for "Effective Java". Haven't read Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java", but he's a good writer... "Thinking in C++" was a good read and we've included him in many of our discussions! And I know Rahul is a big fan of "Design Patterns". As far as sites are concerned, onjava.com and theserverside.com have decent articles. onjava.com is part of oreilly which I really respect.

What are some of your fav books? We discussed books we'd LIKE to read long back, but what about books you've already read? I'll mention three - "Applied .NET Framework Programming", "Effective Java" and "The C++ Object Model". I really like books that go into detail and explain HOW things work, you know what's going on underneath the covers or talk about best practices rather than just talk about syntax. I think all these three do that and more.

No comments: