Sunday, June 19, 2005

Re: Intel at Apple's Core

I think this is going to be really huge. I've always wanted to try Mac. But the main barrier has been very very expensive non-x86 hardware. I guess this is an issue for lots of other guys. On the home pc front, Apple may gain a larger market share. Not that Apple is going to overthrow MS, but will definitely make inroads into the market share.

I don't think this will be the case at all. Apple isn't going to let you run their OS on PCs. A huge part of their revenue is from hardware and they aren't going to let Dell, HP and all the other PC dudes take that away. Not to mention the fact that Mac OS won't have support for all PC hardware. Did you see the keynote where they made this announcement? I didn't see the whole thing, but I did see the part where he actually made the announcement and gave the reason for shifting - x86 architecture is more efficient at power consumption and will scale better than PPC. I didn't see making the OS available to the larger PC market as the reason. Sure, people will manage to get it on PCs and there will be hacks etc... but I doubt it will be anything big. Plus OS X isn't Open Source so there's less incentive for the OS community to bother with it. They got plenty to play with with Linux etc...

My 2 cents.

No comments: