Monday, October 25, 2004

Re: C#

In the current module we are being taught programming in C/C++. C was just 2 sessions. C++ has more sessions but still really fast. And we are covering the new std C++. One of the C++ assignments is to create a Big Integer (BigInt) data type. The BigInt can have upto 100 digits and we are supposed to overload operators for < , > , == , +, - , / , % and few others. Just completed this one and division (/) has been amazing to code!!

I had to create a BigInteger in my "Generic Programming and the STL" class too. I'd be quite interested in seeing your code. I'll send you mine if you want.

I've always wanted to learn more programming languages. I think we agree that to be a complete dev have to know more than a particular lang. Good to appreciate design of each lang. Its just that I've been too lazy. Once you've entered the comfort zone with a lang, its hard to get out.

C++ has been a good experience. Lots to learn still but seen some really cool stuff. I dunno if I'll ever do stuff like python etc..


Yup, I think it's important not only to learn different languages, but also different paradigms like procedural, object oriented, generic etc... Also different types like functional languages (Haskell) and dynamically typed langauges (Python). Maybe you won't use it day to day, but it's always good to have that perspective.

I guess it's a question of time and priority. Learning different languages is fine, but you need to specialize in one or two which will be your bread and butter. And something like C++ it's no easy task. Rest are the "good to know" type.

There's a limit to how much you can understand by reading.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. In reading vs actual coding, there is a world of difference.

No comments: